eCommerce Checklist for New Projects
Starting a new eCommerce website requires many elements for providing customers with the best user experience. There are various items that need checking and testing before launching your website. Below is a checklist for any new eCommerce site to use before opening up for business.
Your homepage is one of the first pages a customer may land on during their search process. This is the area to place key elements to keep users on your website as long as possible in order to increase conversions. Here are some important elements to consider placing on your homepage:
- Search field placed at the top of the page
- Banners for specials, promotions, or free shipping
- Recent purchases or popular item links
- Clear calls-to-action for specific sales pages
- Store location finder if applicable
Chances are many customers may land on one of your product pages when searching online. Make sure product information is clear and easy to find in order to help users follow through with the buying process. The items below can help with conversions:
- Clear call-to-action for adding items to cart
- User reviews and ratings
- Images for related upsells
- Multiple product images
- Description and pricing information
- Shipping and tax information
- Available sizes, dimensions, colors, etc.
- Videos to demonstrate how to use the product
- Item availability
- Free shipping if applicable
- Add to wish list button
Customer Checkout Page
Your customers are expecting a smooth checkout process. The list of items below can help make the process as easy as possible:
- Add checkout buttons at the top and bottom of your page
- Upsell by displaying wish list items
- Include free shipping when possible
- Offer multiple shipping options
- Show approximate shipping time
- Allow users to continue shopping after payment
- Allow users to use promo codes
Checklist Items for Every Page
The following items are important to include on every page of your website.
- Security certificate icons and links
- Email opt-in form for building your newsletter
- Links to legal, career, privacy, FAQ, policies, and contact pages
- Social sharing buttons
- Shopping cart link at the top of the page
- Checkout button
- Customer login link
Other elements to consider are your website’s load time, cross-browser compatibility, and its responsiveness on mobile and tablet devices. This checklist only serves as a guideline for new eCommerce websites. Having an excellent website design & development team will help ensure that your eCommerce website is ready for selling.
Are you ready to start a new eCommerce website or need help with your current website? Contact us today for a free website assessment.